The cultivation of weed is a long and tricky process. There are several factors that you need to keep in mind before going ahead with it. Nonetheless, it does not matter if you are a new or an old grower; you definitely have heard about hydroponic weed and have been fascinated with it.
Hydroponic weed is any weed that does not grow with the help of soil, but rather grows using nutrient-rich water. Although said to be a more effective way of growing weed, it does come with its share of complexity that we growers need to know about.
Therefore, we have compiled an extensive guide discussing various aspects of this methodology of weed production. So that you could decide for yourself if you want to get into it or not.
History Of Hydroponic Cultivation:
With the overall sophistication and elaborate systems in place, one might easily think that this method of cultivation is a new invention. However, this is far from the truth. Hydroponic systems of weed cultivation have been present since time immemorial.
The famous Hanging Gardens of Babylon, created somewhere in 600 BCE, is believed to have employed this method of cultivation. The dry and arid climate of the region demanded a steady trickle system for watering the crops. Subsequently, Aztecs were also believed to have employed this method to grow crops.
Some of the biggest advantages of this method of cultivation are larger yields and faster growth. According to sources, this method of cultivation can make the plan grow 30% to 50% faster. One reason could be the nutrients are suspended in water and can be easily absorbed by the root system. The absence of soil enhances the overall efficiency of the plant to absorb more water.
Hydroponic methods of cultivation can be divided into two categories, Active and passive Hydroponics. They only share a few differences. However, passive hydroponic is usually cheaper and is suited better for beginners.
Now that you know about hydroponic weed cultivation, you must be itching to start. Hold on! There are a few other things that you need to know before you become a ‘Bud-Wiz’. You need to know extensively about what nutrients you need to grow hydroponic weed, hydroponic grow kits for weed, and many other things before you can start your first batch. Let us look at the list of things you will need.
- Lighting. The preferable lights for such set-ups are LED and HPS strips of light.
- Lighting hangers. You would need to hang the light properly.
- Grow tent. Any normal camping tent would work as they are suited for trapping the needed moisture inside.
- Hydroponic reservoir. It would help to hold the nutrient-dissolved water necessary for your hydroponic weed.
- Airstone and pump. You need to keep your weed oxygenated; this would help you with just that.
- Growing medium. You are replacing the soil. Therefore, you need to use a growing medium that would retain moisture and nutrient for the root to absorb it effectively. Some of the best growing mediums include coco coir, Hydroton, clay pebbles, etc.
- Net meshed planting pots. It would promote drainage and air circulation.
- Seeds. That is pretty self-explanatory, you need the seeds to grow the plan.
- Ventilation fan. The grow tent needs to be ventilated properly and in frequent succession. This would enable you to do that.
- Carbon filter. Our hydroponic weed needs to be odorless, these filters would help you to eliminate those for better aroma.
- Oscillating fan. It would regulate the overall air flow and would also help in dissipating heat caused by the grow lights.
- Hydroponic Nutrient. The purpose of this solution is to provide necessary water, oxygen, and essential mineral elements in a soluble form.
- pH and TDS/EC meters. These meters would enable you to monitor the amount of minerals your plans are getting so as to keep things in check.
- Thermometer: Regulating temperature is the most crucial aspect of this process, and a proper thermometer would essentially help you to do just that.
You know have the list of everything you would be needing. Let us now move to the growing process and see how we can grow our hydroponic weed.
How To Grow?
Do not let an extensive list of materials intimidate you. We are going to guide you through the whole process and make sure that you get to grow your hydroponic weed effectively.
- Choose your space to grow the weed carefully, and make sure you start growing hydroponic weed indoors. A small room painted white or a grow tent would be perfect for you to grow your weed. Make sure that your grow area should be between 73 °F (23 °C) and 80 °F (27 °C).
- Let your seed germinate in the designated grow area using the growing medium.
- Make sure to keep the pH levels between 5.5 to 6.0 during the process and use trackers and mediums to keep track of it.
- Use your lights and provide around 18 to 24 hours of light.
- Subsequently, cut that time to 12 hours when the plant reaches halfway to the desired size.
- Take your time to identify male plans and then get rid of them.
- When the plant matures, and the bud grows, harvest it. Make sure to remove any leaves from the bottom.
- Once harvested, hang the buds to dry and then let those buds cure for the next two weeks in a sealed container.
Following these steps would definitely make your yield large and increase the overall growth rate of your weed harvest.
Ans: The internet is divided while discussing the type of water one should use. Sources believe that you need to use rainwater, distilled water, etc. However, the internet unanimously agreed that you need to stay away from tap water as it has higher pH levels than what is needed; this can damage your batch of the crop.
Ans: The answer to this question is not a straightforward one. While a soil-based cultivation system is easier to establish, a hydroponic system makes supplying of nutrients easier. Moreover, once you set up a hydroponic system, you need not worry about any sort of maintenance. Therefore, with time, a hydroponic system of cultivation becomes easier.
Ans: Deep Water Culture, or DWC, is the easiest hydroponic weed system for beginners. In this system, the plants grow with their roots submerged in the nutrient-rich water. You can easily install this system at home, and grow your own hydroponic weed.
And That’s A Wrap.
With eventual legalization and growing interest in society regarding the merits of cannabis plants, people are looking for more and more ways to grow their own batches of weed for various purposes.
This guide was aimed at individuals who want to grow weed in their own established system but are not sure about how to go forward with it. On a final note, do consider the legality of growing weed and then move forwards with the idea. Peace out!
Samik has been a literature student all along and uses his fluidity to write about multi-niche topics. Aspiring to be a professional writer, he tries to analyze his topic from a critical standpoint but still adds a hint of personal perspective to the end product. Being a person having a general inclination toward global politics and documentary filmmaking, he also wishes to write and document more about numerous conflicts that are brewing in the different corners of the globe.