Thai Sticks can get exorbitantly high. But what makes them so expensive? What are the things that go into making a Thai Stick cannagar? In this article, we will discuss all these points and more. So stick around. No puns intended!
The OG Cannabis Cigars
In the West, cannabis cigars or cannagars are quite a huge deal. Anybody who has been a pot connoisseur for a while will agree that cannagars are the highest you can go in terms of potency. Thai Sticks are big joints that are filled with premium buds, resins, and hash oils. Subsequently, these joints are rolled using hemp paper.
Well, nobody knows how old Thai Sticks are. However, we do know that these sticks originated in the hills of Thailand. Sources suggest that this recipe came down from the hill tribes of Laos In fact, Thai Sticks were the only way of consuming cannabis for Thai people.
Thai people are a cannabis-loving race. As a result, the people of Thailand have been at the forefront of several innovations regarding cannabis. Historians claim that the word ‘Bong’ is actually derived from the word ‘Buang.’ Traditionally, it means a bamboo tube that is used for smoking.
Thai people have been consuming these sticks for decades. However, these sticks were not introduced to the American cannabis community until the 1970s. During the Vietnam War, US soldiers used Thailand as a base of operations. And this helped the American GIs to interact with the local cannabis culture.
Approximately 1,000 tonnes worth of Thai Sticks were shipped to the US from 1968 to 1972. This started a whole new chapter for cannabis in America. Many cannabis experts believe that these sticks laid the foundation for modern-day cannagars.
How To Make It?
Thai Sticks are quite popular in the cannabis community. The overall price point of these sticks is high as it is one of the most potent cannabis products out there. Initially, people used to believe that these sticks were laced with opium. Therefore, it is only viable to make your own Thai sticks instead of wasting $5,000 on one.
But before you can start rolling your own cannagars, you will need a few things. These include:
- Buds of your choice.
- A chopstick or a bamboo skewer
- Hash Oil, or Sugar Water, or cannabis concentrates.
- Hemp wick
- Parchment paper
- Cannabis Leaves
This is a very important stage. If you want a clean high with the least amount of side effects, then try not to cut corners during the prepping stage.
- Select the softest or the fluffiest of buds from your bag. This will ensure effective compression of the cannabis.
- Coat the skewer with hash oil, sugar water, or cannabis concentrate. This will enable the cannabis to stick to the skewer properly.
- Take the selected buds and start packing them tightly so that no air remains. You would want to add as much volume as possible.
- After packing the weed, just cover the weed part with the hemp wick. Wrap the cigar tightly with the wick. Subsequently, make sure that the thickness of the cigar remains uniform throughout its length.
After the packing stage comes the curing stage. This will ensure the potency and the quality of your cannagar.
Curing Stage 1
- Wrap your packed stick in parchment paper.
- Then take the whole thing and store it in the fridge for two or three days. This begins the curing process and gives shape to the cannagar.
- After two or three days, take out the stick and carefully remove the hemp wick.
- Following the removal, coat the stick with your preferred choice of concentrate and re-wrap the stick with the fan leaves of a growing plant.
Curing Stage 2
- Now, you can put your sticks into the freezer for the second round of freezing. This will take another 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, apply another layer of concentrate and rewrap the stick with fan leaves. Follow this stage thrice.
- You need to rewrap the stick in parchment paper once you are finished coating the stick with three layers of concentrate and leaves. Subsequently, heat the stick lightly. I prefer using a hair dryer as it gives me good control. This evenly spreads the oils and concentrates.
Curing Stage 3
For the final curing stage, you need to rewrap the stick using a generous amount of hemp wick. Keep the wick tight but not too tight.
Take the wrapped stick and put it into a ziplock bag or a container and put it into the fridge for another 72 hours.
Now you are ready to light up the stick. The final stage of the curing process is not at all a mandatory stage. After the second set of curing the Thai Sticks are ready to smoke. But if you do follow this final step, the potency of the strain automatically goes higher than usual.
With that, we have reached the very end of our list, exploring the best way to make Thai Stick cannagars. American GIs brought this potent preparation to the United States Of America in the 70s. This is a perfect example of cultural osmosis and canna idea sharing.
Samik has been a literature student all along and uses his fluidity to write about multi-niche topics. Aspiring to be a professional writer, he tries to analyze his topic from a critical standpoint but still adds a hint of personal perspective to the end product. Being a person having a general inclination toward global politics and documentary filmmaking, he also wishes to write and document more about numerous conflicts that are brewing in the different corners of the globe.